Friday, October 10, 2008

Great timing


About two weeks ago, I was sleepy and went to bed early. Christian picked up my old copy of Grapes of Wrath and started reading. Now, we don't really play the market, but he comes home every day and checks the financial state of the country. We've had some interesting conversations that begin, "We should get some land, that way if..." We figure at least we know about gardening and hunting and birthing babies at home, so we're a step ahead of most Americans these days. However, Lake City, as a tourist/vacation town probably isn't the best place to live if things keep crashing. (Unless, all those rich Texans decide to ditch their second homes for cheap.) Incidentally, I recall sitting at the beach somewhere, taking turns with Christy, reading Grapes of Wrath out loud to each other. It seems that the chapters that fell to me were about a turtle crossing the road.

2 comments:

Christy said...

ah yes, i remember it well. my late-august days were always spent the same way: desperately trying to finish summer reading before shcool started. we read CONSTANTLY on that beach trip. i only vaguely remember the turtles. i'm afraid the end of that book overshadowed anything else for me!

The Burgess family said...

I got a newsletter from Charles Schwab that outlined how things are not the same now as what led to the great depression. Which is great news, because Grapes of Wrath really IS so depressing!

btw, great photo of "Oliver Silas", and that's funny about Priya and the beans. My girls like beans too.