Saturday, May 15, 2010

We go together like...



I have many events about which to post: our trip to Alabama, our growing flock of chickens, Levi's first birthday. However, I'll put those off a few more days. Tonight I'm in the mood for a food post. Christian and I recently watched Julie and Julia, which I found to be an entertaining and thoughtful movie that also induced a serious case of the munchies! 

I was struck by the line Julia spoke to her husband, "You're the butter to my bread."

Now, I don't eat bread (I've discovered my body doesn't happily metabolize refined carbs) and very seldom eat butter, but I immediately thought of other food combinations that characterize marital intimacy. And, I also wondered what food combos you might relish (we're talking food pairs...one, two, period.)

Here is what I might say instead, "You are the chocolate to my coffee; the cheese to my eggs; the brie to my blackberries; and the basil to my tomatoes (please note I mean only homegrown basil and tomatoes); the olive oil to my garlic..."

I made a cake for Levi's birthday tonight that was layered: one vanilla layer, one chocolate, with cinnamon cream cheese icing and a cinnamon stencil on top. (Priya "assisted" me.) So, I'll have to add chocolate and cinnamon to my list of favorite combos. 

So, how about you? What two food items do you think can't live without one another?

3 comments:

Abbie said...

peanut butter and tomatoes.

...as in, west african peanut soup, which has a lot of stuff in it, but the magic is the combo of peanut butter and tomatoes.

also, asparagus and lemon juice.

uh, and also soy sauce and wasabi.

Levi turned 1??? crap, this year has gone by fast. can't wait to hear more...

Unknown said...

everything and salt. I actually was thinking of salt today in a similar way to your blog...and how happy it made me to know salt was mentioned in the Bible, which means it's good for me.

Coffee and cream.

hummus and pita...

Joanne Brandt said...

Chips 'N' Salsa! That's meant to be for both me and your Dad!

I loved the Julie and Julia movie, and immediately ordered her "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" (Vol 1 & 2); and her biography "Appetite for Life" after seeing the movie.