Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Nutty November


November 19: I had a midwife appointment in Montrose (see announcement below). Christian took the day off and went with me. We took the kids swimming. I remember learning to count by holding my breath under the water...97, 98, 99....but, now I am a mountain momma and must drive my kids two hours to the nearest pool. We spent the night in a hotel.

November 20: I caught a plane to Alabama for a wedding and to see GG.

November 22: A happy day. My dear friend Christy was joined in marriage to Chris, a guy I've known since middle school. I didn't get many photos since I was shuffling kids and wedding events. I was honored to read scripture for the ceremony. The weekend was wonderful. I was delighted to see old friends and be there for the wedding.
November 23: Mom and I took the kids to the Birmingham zoo. On our way to Alabama, Silas had said, "I think GG will let us pet an alligator." Fortunately, they had some sheep and goats for that purpose. We rode the little train around the zoo and Silas rode a zebra, on the carousel. Going on a Sunday morning is a great idea. We only saw two other families.
November 24: The trip back. If it is only 13 minutes long, is it still considered a layover? Picture me, pregnant, running through the Chicago airport, pushing a double stroller, three bags on my back, sobbing. I ran from the F gates to the C gates (involved two escalators with the double stroller). The gate attendant felt sorry for me and called, yes, the captain. They put the bridge back and opened the plane door and let me on. When I got back to Montrose, I had a flat tire, go figure. That might be my last solo airline adventure with the kiddos.

November 25: Recovery day. Kids both had colds.

November 26: Silas turns 3! And, I throw an unrelated dinner party. What? Who throws an hors d'oeuvres party for 12 adults and 4 children the night before Thanksgiving?! Crazy. Silas rides his new bike. Happy Birthday to Silas....
November 27: Thanksgiving Day. I make the bread and the sweet potatoes. After the "Turkey Trot" walk around town, we head up to  Chrisitan's parents for a late lunch. While everyone naps off pumpkin cheesecake, I whip up some Birthday cupcakes. Again, who skips the Thanksgiving nap to bake?! Last year, we invited all the two year olds in town to the Birthday bash. This year, we skipped the turkey sandwiches and ate cupcakes for dinner with the family. 

November 28: The guys don't feel like working, so Christian has an unexpected day off. We clean the house, make piles of things to get rid of, and take Silas for another bike ride.

November 29: Christmas Tree '08. Getting the tree is always an event, and has been since long before I joined this family. We went out to the woods with Christian's parents, Dan and Amy (and Titus), and the kids in search of three perfect trees. Doug and Carol always get a 20 ft tree (seriously). I was thinking we'd put one on our corner coffee table, maybe 4 or 5 ft. Well, we came home with a beautiful, full, 12ft tree. They really do look bigger out in the woods. We rearranged furniture for the sucker. Here's some photos from our adventure.
The grandparents' tree, which was much smaller this year than usual:
Luckily, the tree we found had legs...
The kids found a place to rest..
Quick, find the best tree before anyone else can, he catches on fast...

5 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

The airport story is crazy! I'm so sorry. To answer your question, ours was much smoother. It was so good to see you at the wedding, eventhough it was a short visit. And congrats again on the new baby!When are Silas and Priya due? :)

Donna said...

So sorry about your airport experience! How fun to be Mary again! You were made for the role it seems! And to be prego too while doing it makes it extra special. Your Christmas tree pictures are amazing- hallmark card amazing. So good to hang out at the wedding!

Todd and Noelle said...

i just saw you had a blog, glad i found it!

i still haven't had to fly without todd...scares me! :D

Christy said...

My Dear, Dear Amanda! Thank you so much for being a part of my wedding. Your reading was wonderful- my stepmother in law said it was her favorite part of the service! My only regret of the weekend is that there wasn't enough time to visit.
i love you. i'm so glad and grateful that you are in my life, even from afar.

Anne said...

Hi long lost friend! I love your blog and am so happy you posted a picture of you and Christy. I have missed staying in touch with all of you over the years. You have a beautiful family - congratulations on your 3rd! Happy New Year!