Monday, January 18, 2010

10 honest things


I was "tagged" to do this and I usually just decline, but as I am having trouble consolidating my thoughts into a post...here we go... 

1. I like to mow grass. I suppose Lake City might not be the place for this. I only mow 5 or 6 times a year. I didn't mow too much growing up because my mom also likes to mow grass and is rather picky about it. I have one of those reel mowers (in Alabama we'd say "old timey spin mower") now so the entire experience is quiet and sweet smelling. 

2. I'm a bit green. I recycle, compost, have a reel mower. I never drive unless it is over 2 miles. I heat with wood, use cloth diapers. Heck, Christian has recently become the chair of the Green Commission Advisory Board in Lake City and wants to buy a diesel truck and run it on veg oil from the local fried chicken place. 

3. I have a sauna in my front yard (see photo). It is beautiful. I sweat once a week. However, Christian didn't build it for us. It is for sale. Parting with it will be such sweet sorrow. I'll be glad to have the money, but sad to give up my weekly sauna. We heat it to between 200 and 210 and I like to think of what we could be cooking as we sit there....ribs or pecan cookies? There are two of these beautiful saunas let me know if you'd like to buy one or both.

4. I like that leggings are in style right now. Not because I want to wear sacky sweaters that barely cover my rear in neon colors with big tacky buttons...but because I'm so tall that tights don't always stay up....leggings are thicker and I have greatly expanded my winter options by wearing skirts, leggings, and my shearling boots.

5. If I could re-do my education, I would take my father's advise and "study something useful". I enjoyed studying literature, but think now that I would have loved being a nurse.

6. I wish I could attend one to two births a month. I have had all my children at home and have assisted with other home-births and I love both the relational/emotional and the technical/medical sides of the process. There is a midwife who would like me to regularly assist once Levi is weaned and I am excited about that prospect.

7. I do not own a TV. We watch about one or two movies a month on our IMAC and I have no idea how people, especially moms, watch more than that and still manage their families and homes. 

8. Having written #7, I will say that while Christian was in Minnesota over New Years, I went on a total BBC drama binge. The Elizabeth Gaskill series is wonderful. North and South is every bit as good as Pride and Prejudice. 

9. I have recently become an early bird. I've been waking up at 5 or 5:30AM to exercise with some friends. I have also loved having time to study scripture and pray in actual factual quiet. I feel stronger and find myself actually looking forward to push-ups again.

10. I have been pregnant and/or nursing a baby for almost five years. Which means that the last time I slept through the night was sometime back in February of '05. 

oh and a bonus one...

11. I am the very proud owner of a Magic Bullet. I use it about 2 times a day. Baby food, salsa, hummus, smoothies, grinding coffee, whipping cream....Our local youth group was playing a game called "Bigger and Better" where they knocked on doors and traded items with folks. We gave them a rug and got the full set MB stuff....

Ok, that wasn't so bad. I'm not going to tag anyone else, but I hope this made Emily happy.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE "North & South"! Until I watched it for the first time last year, I thought it was a Civil War movie. If you still have a sauna in June, I'm inviting myself over to use it :)

Emily Pritz said...

That made me super happy! I saw your post while I was at work and actually had to wait until the evening to get to read your blog and it was the first thing I sat down to do! Very good and I wish I could come Sauna with you guys!! Tell the little ones hello and to stay little!

--Shelley said...

ok.
1. i too like to mow grass. it is quite therapeutic.
2. i always feel bad about myself when i read your posts (no offense)
3. i have thought many times that i should have gone to nursing school. it is a great job for a mom no matter where you live
4. i watched pride and prejudice over the course of the past three nights with chip out of town, as i folded clothes! i guess i will have to watch north and south next.
5. i hope you sell the saunas soon

Donna said...

Wow- you didn't post at all in December and now you are back! I had to catch up tonight. First, I'm in love with your babies- SO CUTE!!! Priya in the flour is priceless! I LOVE mowing grass (and never get to b/c Marc loves it too) and am seriously gonig to get North and South now.

H. Pierre Schlomo Presley said...

i attribute the slight bit of ringing in my ear to the Joplin wedding of 2006 and the Toro riding mower. Old time spin mowers would have been the preferred approach for the Buckley lawn business.

I also love the sauna. Why sell it?