Thursday, June 18, 2009

Goodbye, Annie.


Soon after Levi was born, our dog suddenly got old. The week before she was running and playing, and then....she stopped eating, and pretty much gave up on life. We took her to the vet, who gave her some shots, but basically said, "She's way past the expected life span for her breed." A few more weeks went by, as we teetered on the decision that we made today. The goodbye was more difficult than I had imagined. She was 10 1/2 years old. I have had her since her first birthday. She was with me through the last semester of college, West Virginia, my first six years of marriage and the birth of my three children. Annie was a great dog, a good companion, and protector of the children. Silas asked "what will they do with Annie?" when he saw me crying this morning. I told him "Dr. Howard will take care of her until she dies." He grabbed Annie's face and said, "Annie, God will be with you wherever you go," which was his Sunday School lesson last week. (I'm not sure about the theology of that, but at that point, I really lost it, laughing and crying at the same time.) Goodbye old girl.

6 comments:

Ashley, Bronson, Jackson, and Ellis Lee said...

Oh Amanda..what a sweet post and so sad. As a dog lover it is just the hardest thing to say goodbye to that constant friend and the unconditional love they shower! Praying for you and your family as you move along over the next days, weeks, and months.

Joanne Brandt said...

I'm tearing up as I write this. We will also miss Annie - but have memories of when we kept her with us when you and Christian were in Nepal - of her playing with our kitties - and the doggie jacket we made for her to wear in the Mobile winter time. You could not have had a better dog for you and the kids.

Melissa/Mel said...

can't believe annie died. my family has a lab, and he's really old, and over the past few weeks has gotten frail. every time i see him laying down i check for some sort of movement to be sure he's still alive. crazy how dogs can be such a part of the family...and such a comfort!

Abbie said...

oh how sad. so hard to say goodbye to such an old member of the family. I reckon silas was probably right, in any case... but that is hilarious. hope all is well with you guys and the chaos is manageable.

Donna said...

So sorry about your sweet dog. Sounds like she was a faithful friend. Happy Belated b'day to sweet Priya too!

nick, robyn and taylor said...

Oh Amanda Panda, I'm so sorry for your loss. I'll be praying for y'all.