Thursday, July 24, 2008

Baking bread

Every week or 10 days, I bake bread. The recipe makes three loaves (or two loaves and a pan of cinnamon rolls). Today, because Silas woke her up from her nap, Priya was my helper. She wore this apron that my mother made for me, ahem, twenty something years ago. Ok, so she didn't really help. She just toddled around making adorable noises.

1.  Mix and let sit 5 minutes: 2 tbsp yeast, 1 tbsp sugar, 
1 cup water
2. Add 1 cup flour, let sit another 20 minutes
3. Add: 3 cups water, 1 cup honey or sugar, 2 tbsp oil, 
1 tbsp salt, 7-9 cups of flour
4. knead
5. let rise in bowl, covered, for 1 hour
6. place in pans, let double (1 hour)
7. bake 350 degrees for 30 minutes
I use some white, some wheat, some oats, some spelt, some almond flour....whatever you throw in there seems to work. 




3 comments:

Abbie said...

ok, you are officially a hippie earth mother extraordinaire. I made bread two days ago and thought to myself, man, this is great. I should really do this more than twice a year. Which is how often I get around to it. I obviously have a long way to go in my path to domestic goddessness. Thanks for the excellent rolemodelling.
and Priya is too cute for words. I'm glad she is walking enough to justify dresses.

H. Pierre Schlomo Presley said...

what is "spelt"? Is that like "clabber"?

--Shelley said...

i think i might take a break from reading your blog. i am feeling slightly lazy and not so earth friendly. not really, i love your life.