Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer beasts


Normally, I think of the deer around Lake City as you might think of stray dogs on your street, or mice in your attic. They eat our flowers, poop in the yard, and cross the street when- and wherever they please. However, this time of year, when their coats are shiny, their bellies fat, and their antlers in velvet, they are strikingly beautiful. These guys were munching in our alley a few nights ago. 
Tonight, moments ago, in fact, Annie went bonkers and we knew there was a bear close by. So, we did exactly what you would do, we threw the kids in bed and jumped on our bikes to find it. It was still in our alley and we trailed it until it climbed slowly up the bluff about a block away. (Didn't have time to grab the camera.)
Here's a list of animals I've seen since moving here: deer, elk, mountain goats, big horned sheep, antelope, moose, porcupine, bear, marmot, pikas, bobcats, a lynx. I have not seen a mountain lion, but I'm not entirely sure I'd like to encounter one.

2 comments:

--Shelley said...

You live in a different world. It reminds me of alaska. I bet it is beautiful and quite relaxing!

nick, robyn and taylor said...

You tracked a bear?! What?! Are you crazy? I bet it was exciting.